Ever since this summer, I have been looking for ways to make our apartment smell good. You know even after cleaning up the entire house, those lingering smells you still want to get rid of whether from the garbage, from humidity around the home, from airing out shoes....I've got you covered. I'm going to be showing you 6 different things I use and the 7 different ways I use them. Our apartment smells so much better when I use a combination of these and it's incredible, I'm sure you will want to try one or more of these. I will be linking everything mentioned at the end of the post so be sure to read through to the end.
Baking soda and Vinegar
1. One of the first things I love to do after throwing out garbage and changing out the bags is to put some paper towel in the garbage can itself and add some essential oils before putting on the new change of bag. I specifically love the lemon grass and the sweet orange essential oil. The first time I tried this and opened the garbage to use, it smelled so amazing, I was like "yessssss this is how a home should smell like" haha. Try it and let me know what you think.
2. Another way I like to use essential oils is to add a few drops to the diffuser after adding water in our living room. I like to use a combination of frankincense and grapefruit, lemon and sweet orange, peppermint, and ylang ylang. Not only does this method make our home smell great and feel luxurious, but it's awesome aromatherapy and the humidifying aspect is great as well.
3. Another very awesome method is to add baking soda, vinegar and essential oils to deodorize around the house, whether on your carpet, on your bed, in your kitchen sink, you get a 2 for 1 action ( deodorize + add scent). Can't beat that!
4. Room Sprays - Have you tried using a home spray, specifically one that makes every room in your home smell like a hotel? - Yes this is a whole different experience. I use the 24K magic room spray from the Hotel Collection and I plan on getting other scents as well. After watching dressyourdecor on Instagram decorate with one of these scents, I had to try one as well and it doesn't disappoint. You can shop for one at the end of this post. I like to spray it in our bedrooms after making the bed ( just imagine sneaking under the sheets after a long day into something soft and glorious) ha! Let me know when you try this.
5. Use scented candles - make sure you pay attention to the size of your room as you may need more than one to cover a specific space in your home. Ideally you should use one 8.oz candle for every 10 sq.ft of room. To get the best throw or scent from the candle around your room, make sure to let it burn for at least 3 to 4 hours. This also prevents tunneling and allows the candle to burn evenly. And when it's time to turn it off, if you bought a candle that has a cover, simply place that over the candle jar to extinguish the candle or use some type of proper lid so that you don't get the smell of smoke from blowing out the candle.
6. Shoe Fresheners - this is another great way to get rid of lingering smells you don't want in your home. For us we like to air out our shoes in the bathroom and while doing that, it can add to the odor that already comes from the bathroom and toilet itself. A good way to prevent this is to use shoe fresheners especially for covered shoes like those gym shoes - you know what I'm saying haha! Anyway I like to use these particular shoe freshener balls you leave in the shoes overnight and it smells great the next morning. Continue reading for more ways to make your home smell good.
7. Scented Sachets - and finally this one is Golden!!!. These scented sachets come in different scents like essential oils but you can place these packets anywhere. Think in your luggage, behind the toilet, in the kitchen drawers, in the garbage disposal, as decor accent piece in any room, in your pantry, in your linen closet, you name it.
Click products to shop below and let me know what you think.
As always I appreciate your interaction and support. Please leave me a comment below. I would love to hear from you.
Book Your E-Design Services Today
Looking for design tips and a mood board of curated pieces like this? Or want something that is tailored for you and your space, Or you would like to redesign your home or need styling advice? Check out my package offerings below. Stop worrying and start feeling inspired to focus on what matters most to you.